Skip to main content

General Enrollment

Welcome to Joplin Schools!

Any school-age child residing within district boundaries and who meets legal and Board of Education requirements may enroll in Joplin Schools. New student enrollment (including kindergarten registration) begins online and will be completed at your child's school.

(If your student is already enrolled in Joplin Schools, please do not complete the steps below for a new school year. Instead, complete your Annual Student Information Update.)

Click here for more information regarding attendance zones and to verify which school your child will attend.

STEP 1: Complete the Pre-Enrollment Form

STEP 2: You will receive an email from your child's school with a link that invites you to complete the enrollment process in PowerSchool. Click the link to set up a Parent Portal account in PowerSchool.

STEP 3: In your Parent Portal account in PowerSchool, navigate to the Forms tab on the left side of the page.

  • In the All Forms tab, fill out all forms listed. 
  • Enrollment into a classroom will not take place until ALL online forms are completed.

STEP 4: Bring proper documentation to complete the enrollment process at your child's school. (If enrolling during summer, complete this step when buildings open in early August.) You may choose to bring copies of the documents and leave them with the school or we will scan your documents during the visit. Original documents should accompany copies to verify the information.

Please bring the following information with you for all children needing to be enrolled: 

  • Your photo ID (any valid state or federal government-issued photo ID is acceptable, such as a driver's license, state ID card, U.S. passport, military ID, or tribal photo ID)
  • Child's legal, state-issued birth certificate
  • Child's up-to-date immunization records as required by the state of Missouri
  • Proof of residency (examples of acceptable documents include: mortgage documents, house-closing documents, lease/rental agreement, construction contract with proposed occupancy date, current utility bill such as water, gas, or electricity)
  • Proof of guardianship if the student lives within district boundaries with someone other than a parent
  • If applicable, any legal documents regarding custody arrangements, etc.

For students transferring from another district, please bring:

  • Name and address of the previous school attended or an unofficial transcript from that school
  • Special Education records, if applicable, such as an Individual Education Plan and a current diagnostic summary

Additional information you will need to complete the enrollment process:

  • Phone numbers and addresses for primary contacts and all parents/guardians for the student
  • Names/phone numbers for emergency contacts 

School staff will work with you during your visit to check that the enrollment process is fully complete or to inform you of additional documentation needed.

Joplin High and Middle School Enrollments

  • JHS and Middle School enrollment starts annually in August.
  • High school transfer students should obtain an official sealed copy of their high school transcript to expedite the process. Obtaining these records often takes several weeks to complete, especially if attempted during summer closures; when possible, please start early.
  • Bring a copy of your child's updated immunization records.